Water & Sewer Services
The water meter serving your address is the property of the City of Poway and is located within a public utility easement. To help us serve you better, please observe the following guidelines to keep the meter area clear and allow regular and easy access to the meter for reading and maintenance:
- Vehicles should not be parked in a way that obstructs meter access.
- Structures such as walls, fences, and gates cannot be installed around the meter without a city encroachment permit.
- Please keep landscaping clear of the meter area. If vegetation makes access difficult, please clear it. If we need immediate access, the city may clear the vegetation without prior notice.
- Although we prefer not to do so, the city has the right to remove obstructions placed in a utility easement area, and is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by removing the obstruction.
Your Water & Sewer Bill
City of Poway water / sewer customers are billed bimonthly (every 2 months). You can determine your billing cycle by the first digit of your account number, using the following chart:
|Billing Cycle||Approximate Time of Billing|
|1||Middle of January, March, May, July, September, November|
|2||Middle of February, April, June, August, October, December|
|3||End of January, March, May, July, September, November|
|4||End of February, April, June, August, October, December|
Your bill will include charges for water capacity, water usage, sewer charges, and pumping charges as applicable. The city bills for water consumption in units, and a unit is approximately 748 gallons. Residential sewer customers are billed using a tier system. Non-residential accounts are based on water meter size and customer class (depending upon sewer strength). These charges are reviewed annually by the City Council. The current water and sewer fees are available for the public at City Hall.
Additional Water / Sewer Billing Information
- Your bill is due and payable upon receipt. Accounts not paid by the due date (shown on your bill) will be sent a Past Due Notice and will be charged a late fee of 10% or $50, whichever is less.
- If a balance remains unpaid 45 days after the billing date, a Shut Off Notice will be posted on the property approximately 48 hours prior to the scheduled shut off. A fee of $32 will be charged for posting the Shut Off Notice, and an additional administrative fee of $54 will be charged if service has to be shut off.
- The total bill for water and sewer charges, plus fees and any deposit(s) due, must be paid in full before service is reconnected.
- A deposit may be required at any time at the discretion of the City of Poway, based on a customer's payment record.
- A fee of $25 will be assessed for returned checks and returned automatic payments.
- Accounts that are unpaid after service termination or discontinuance may be sent to an outside collection agency, and this will include reporting the matter to a credit reporting agency.
Thank you for taking the time to review this information and these guidelines. We look forward to serving you!