New Billing Procedures Effective February 1, 2020
As a result of a new State law (California Senate Bill 998) governing discontinuation of water service, the City has implemented a new discontinuation of water service policy and billing procedures. For all new water bills mailed after February 1, 2020, there is additional time between when water bill is due and when water service will be disconnected due to non-payment.
How Does this New Billing Procedure Affect You?
- Water service may be discontinued if the current water bill or alternative payment arrangement is delinquent for at least 60 days.
- Customers who are enrolled in the Direct Payment Program (Auto Pay) will see no change. Payment will be processed on the due date on your bill.
- Past Due fees will be assessed to the account 34 days after the bill is mailed., equal to 10% or $50, whichever is less.
- In the event of non-payment of a water bill by an Owner for a residence that receives individually metered residential water service, a Tenant may request to become the customer of record to avoid discontinuation of water service, if the tenant agrees to certain requirements.
- If you are unable to pay your bill, residential water customers may be eligible to request an alternative payment arrangement. Once the account has been tagged for shut off due to non-payment, payment arrangements are not considered.
- Residential customers that meet specified medical and financial requirements will not have service discontinued for nonpayment and may have a normal bill extended for up to 12 months, if they meet specified requirements.
- Customers desiring to initiate a complaint or to appeal services or charges shown on a water bill must do so in writing within eight (8) days of the date billed.
For more information, please view the Discontinuation of Residential Water Service Policy:
주거용 수도 서비스 중단 방침 (Korean)
Chính sách về việc Cúp Nước Sinh hoạt (Vietnamese)
住宅供水停止政策 (Mandarin Chinese)
We thank you for your understanding as the City implements these changes to water billing procedures to comply with these new regulations. Please contact Customer Service at (858) 668-4401 with any questions or to request that a copy of the billing procedures be mailed to you.