We take 85% of the lowest winter water use based on the assumption that 15% of the billed water use is not returned to the sewer system for irrigation and pool filling, while the remaining 85% is returned to wastewater.
Show All Answers
Cash, checks, and money orders are accepted. Payment options can be found on the Pay Your Bill page. At the current time, we are unable to accept debit or credit cards for payments made in person.
Water payments may be sent by mail, dropped off in the secure water payment depository box in the City Hall parking lot, or made online. The secure payment box is available at all times.
Requests made outside of normal business hours (including closed Fridays, weekends, or holidays) are subject to after-hours fees. To have service reinstated during these times / days, contact the city’s Water Treatment Plant at 858-668-4751. When the after-hours employee arrives, you will be required to sign an agreement to pay the after-hours fee before 9 a.m. the next business day. You will also be required to contact Customer Services on the next business day to officially sign up for service.
Online bill pay is available for Water / Sewer Utility Bills and is free to all water / sewer customers. To get started, you will need to have your account number and service address available. More information can be found on the Pay Your Bill page.
Go to the Understanding Your Bill information page.
The City of Poway does not provide financial assistance for filling your pool. To ensure that the filling of your pool does not affect your sewer billing, it is recommended that you not fill your pool during the winter months of November-April. For an explanation of how your sewer charge is calculated, please read more about Rates and Fees or contact a customer service representative during business hours.
Each year wastewater rates are recalculated to include the previous three years winter water use. This excludes the current winter season. The recalculated rate will be reflected in bills mailed to customers in the months of March or April depending on your bill cycle.
The fixed bimonthly wastewater charge recovers a portion of the City’s fixed costs of system capacity, billing, and administrative overhead. The commodity rate recovers the cost of wastewater treatment based on consumer use.
We use the last three years average of lowest winter water use to account for variations in weather, leaks, or other variations, that may cause a higher than normal wastewater bill are minimized for our customers.
Commercial and other non-residential customers pay wastewater charges based on their water consumption for that billing period. All customers also pay a fixed bimonthly wastewater service charge based on water meter size and customer classification to recover the City’s costs for system capacity, billing, and administrative overhead.