IN PREPARATION FOR OUR YOUTH FISHING DERBY, FISHING WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2023, THROUGH SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2023, AT 1:00 Pm.
Youth Fishing Derby Camp Out: February 3, 2023
Learn to fish from the pros and watch demonstrations on how to properly rig a line the night before the 28th Annual Youth Fishing Derby. The fishing seminar and Pizza dinner will begin at 5:00 PM. Participants and their families are invited to spend the night for only $16 a car. Don't forget your camping and grilling supplies. Absolutely no fishing is permitted prior to the Derby.
28th Annual Youth Fishing Derby: February 4, 2023
Join the City of Poway, February 4, for an exciting day of fun and prizes at the FREE 28th Annual Youth Fishing Derby! Freshly stocked with rainbow trout, the lake will be open only to youth ages 15 and younger from 6:00 AM-12:00 PM. Winners must be present to claim prizes at the awards ceremony. *Participants must check in at the registration tables to receive their wristbands before fishing that morning. See flyer below for more event details.
For more information call the Lake Poway Ranger at: (858) 668-4772.
|Adult (16 and over)||$7.00|
|Youth (8 to 15)||$3.00|
|Seniors (55 and over)||$3.00|
|Military (With ID)||$4.00|
Lake Poway Fishing
- Bait, tackle, lake permits, and refreshments are available at the Lake Poway Concession.
- Fishing is permitted from Wednesday to Sunday. View our boat rental fees online.
- Please check our weekly fish report for fishing conditions, stocking dates and discounts.
- State fishing licenses are not required; however, Poway fishing permits are required.
- Year-round fishing is available for bass, catfish, sunfish and bluegill.
- You can fish from the shoreline or from a rental boat.
Daily Fish Catch Limits
- Bass: 5 max, minimum of 12 inches
- Bluegill: 10 max
- Catfish: 5 max
- Sunfish: 10 max
- Trout: 4 max (no catch and release)
- A State of California Fishing License is no longer required to fish at Lake Poway.
- Dogs are not allowed in the boats or on the shoreline.
- Each angler is allowed to use a maximum of two rods.
- The trout limit is 4 trout.
- All anglers require a daily fishing permit to fish.
- Fishing permit must be carried at all times.
- Anglers must obey City of Poway Rules and Regulations.
- Fishing in the restricted area is prohibited.
- The use of corn for bait is prohibited.
- The use of Sport fish for bait is prohibited.
- Chumming of bait is prohibited.
- Each angler must have their own stringer.
- No catch and release of trout.
- Bass must be released if under 12 inches.
- No snagging of fish.
In order to protect the integrity of the Lake Poway and surrounding water systems the following restrictions are now in effect. The following items are prohibited at Lake Poway:
- Float tubes
- Private motors and anchors
- Live Bait Containers
- Fish Finders
- Floating Catch Baskets
- Live Bait (shiners, crawdads, etc.) from any source other than the Lake Poway Concession
- Any other items, determined by Staff, to be potential contaminants