The Sheriff's Poway Station Crime Prevention Unit is a valuable resource for local residents concerned about crime in their neighborhood.
These tips, provided by the Crime Prevention Unit, are a good reminder that by taking a few simple precautions, we can discourage those who commit crime and reduce our chance at becoming a victim.
- Always lock and secure your vehicle after exiting while bringing all of your valuables with you, including your garage door opener. Thieves are looking for cars that are unlocked and/or have items in plain view, such as wallets, cell phones, purses, backpacks, laptops, and sunglasses. Thieves will also look for work trucks where tool boxes and other expensive tools are left overnight in the truck bed. Make sure everything is taken out of your vehicle and brought with you inside your residence.
- Close and lock all of your doors and windows to your residence before leaving. Even if you are only going to be gone for a few minutes, it is extremely important to keep your doors locked. If you have a security system, make sure you activate your system before leaving as well.
- Keep your garage door closed and secure at all times.
- If you suspect someone has forcibly entered your residence or place of business while you were away, DO NOT ENTER the property. Call the Sheriff's Department immediately from a safe location and wait for Sheriff's deputies to arrive and secure the property.
Remember to report suspicious activity by calling our non-emergency dispatch number (858) 565-5200. You can read more about suspicious activity at http://www.sdsheriff.net/documents/suspicious_activity.pdf.
A strong, active Neighborhood Watch program is one of the most effective and successful crime prevention methods available. The Neighborhood Watch program is designed to make citizens aware of the critical role reporting parties and the community play in the apprehension of criminals. Some of what you will learn is:
- Identify and report suspicious activity
- Better safeguard your home and property
- Be prepared in case of emergencies
If you would like to start a Neighborhood Watch program in your neighborhood, contact the Poway Crime Prevention unit at (858) 513-2800.