Last spring the City of Poway hosted a benefit concert to kick off fundraising for the Tony Gwynn memorial and the response was overwhelming: the campaign passed the halfway mark by the end of the night. Poway residents and Gwynn fans have been generous with their support, but its been the in-kind support of local businesses that helped turn the dream of honoring Poway’s “home town hero” into a reality.
The following “Memorial MVPs” pitched in with donations of time, manpower, equipment and materials for the construction of the memorial plaza and donor wall:
- Swinerton Builders: Main construction of plaza, including layout, wall footings, bench and pedestal for statue ($25K value)
- Bright View Landscape: Concrete sidewalks and slabs ($10K value)
- Terra Firma Landscape: Plaza design and plans for irrigation, plantings, etc. ($10K value)
- La Jolla Stone Etching: Etching on plaza floor, donor wall and monument ($7K value)
- San Diego Granite: Memorial wall materials and installation ($10K value)
- Robertson’s Ready Mix: Concrete ($10K value)
- Squires Lumber: Lumber ($10K value)
- Minshew Bros Steel Construction: Rebar ($3K value)
- Bob’s Crane Service: Hydraulic truck crane ($2.5K value)
- MK Signs and Banners: Construction site signage ($2.5K value)
- United Site Services: Temporary fencing ($1K value)
- Sunstate: Construction equipment ($1K value)
Terra Firma Landscape President and Owner Larry Swikard said that honoring Gwynn’s gregarious spirit and welcoming personality was a natural fit for both his company and family.
“We have always been about helping out with community related projects especially in the Poway, Penasquitos, Mira Mesa and Scripps Ranch areas as we have lived, worked and raised our kids in those areas,” said Swikard. “As San Diego natives, we have been lifelong Padres fans since the Westgate Park era and lifetime supporters of San Diego State. Tony Gwynn is the most Iconic Padre of all time, he and his whole family represent the epitome of dignity, leadership and class in everything they have done.”
The unveiling and dedication of the Tony Gwynn Memorial statue is 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 9, which was Gwynn’s birthday. The memorial overlooks the ballfield at Lake Poway, 14644 Lake Poway Road.