Here are a few safety tips from the Sheriff’s Poway Crime Prevention Unit..
Safety Tips Prior to Trick or Treating
Safety Tips during Trick or Treating
- Make sure that costumes are easy to see. Use light colors or reflective tape.
- To ensure that you do not trip on your costume, check to make sure it is the proper length.
- Carry a flashlight so that you can see and motorists can also see you.
- Use makeup instead of a mask.
- For older kids, going out without a parent: Have a plan of where you intend to trick or treat and leave it with your parents so that they will know where you are.
- Go while it is still light outside.
- Cross the street only at corners. Never cross between parked cars.
- Walk only on well-lit streets and stay on the sidewalks.
- If there is no sidewalk and you must use the street, walk facing traffic.
- Wait until you get home to eat your treats so that they can be checked.
- Stick to the trick or treating plan that you left at home and arrive back on time so that no one will worry.
- Do not enter anyone’s home without your parent’s permission.
- Do not talk to strangers.
Remember: Throw away treats that are not wrapped and call the Sheriff’s Department dispatch at (858) 565-5200 if you see anything that does not look safe.