Fire Training Facilities
The Poway Fire Department provides several facilities focused on training and professional development activities for its personnel.
Classrooms are located at Fire Station 1 and Fire Station 3. Each classroom is equipped with an integrated audiovisual system designed to support an effective, high-quality learning environment. This system includes a computer, DVD player, VCR player, digital camera, projection system, and 2 televisions / monitors. Visual aids are shown using the televisions / monitors and projection system. These components can also operate independently. The City of Poway also makes available a variety of meeting rooms and facilities throughout the community to support the delivery of professional development activities.
Fire Training Tower
The City of Poway Fire Training Tower was completed in August 2006 and replaces the Fire Department's original tower built in the early 1980s. Designed by WLC Architects Inc. of Rancho Cucamonga, the Fire Training Tower is located adjacent to the city's Materials Handling Yard in the Poway Business Park. The fire training tower and drill area surrounding the tower occupies just over 1 acre. The 5-story fire training tower consists of the latest systems creating "hands-on" training scenarios for Poway firefighters. These features include:
- 5 stories of varying floor plans with interior and exterior stairways
- Specialized burn room for "live fires"
- Rooftop ventilation prop
- Below-ground cistern with 65,000 gallons of water supplying on-site fire hydrants
- Water collection system with ozone filtration and treatment
- Fire sprinkler system and standpipe system with fire department connections
- A "safe smoke" delivery system with red lighting to simulate "safe" fire scenarios
- Multiple anchor points throughout for technical rope rescue training
- Prop area for specialized training
- Fire equipment storage room
- Large drill ground area for hose and ladder evolution