Kitchen Safety

The kitchen can be a very dangerous place if the appropriate precautions are not taken. Every year numerous people die or are injured in the kitchen due to fire, poisonings, burns, and electric shock. Below is a list of some common tips to keep you and your family safe in the kitchen:

  • Keep appliances clean. Build up of dirt and grease can catch fire easily.
  • Stay in the kitchen while cooking. Many fires start when cooking food is left unattended.
  • Turn off and unplug all appliances when not in use.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward away from the hands of young children. Children can burn themselves by grabbing a hot handle and pulling it down on themselves.
  • Keep knives and other sharp objects out of the reach of children.
  • Properly store all cleaning and chemical agents not intended for children by placing them out of reach and with a lock on the cabinet.
  • Keep flammable objects away from the stove and other possible sources of ignition.
  • Never put water on a grease fire. This can cause a violent reaction and lead to severe burns. Instead, carefully slide the lid over the pot or pan, turn off the stove, and let it cool. This will smother the fire and take away it's heat source.
  • Close the oven or microwave door and turn off the heat source if a fire starts in either of these 2 places.
  • If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll!
  • Call 911 in any emergency.