- Development Services
- Affordable Housing
- First-Time Home Buyer Program
First-Time Home Buyer Program
Supporting Home Ownership in Poway (SHOP) Program
The Supporting Home Ownership in Poway (SHOP) Program provides low- and moderate-income homebuyers with assistance to purchase a home in Poway through a Poway Housing Authority and City of Poway funded second mortgages. Homes purchased with the help of SHOP Program loans will remain affordable for a minimum of 45 years, which requires the home to be sold at a restricted resale price to qualified buyers.
SHOP loans are available to qualified applicants only when an existing single-family home financed with a SHOP loan becomes available for resale.
A SHOP Program Overview handout is available for download here.
Unfortunately, no SHOP Program Homes Are Currently Available for Resale
If you would like to be one of the first to be notified of the next available for-sale opportunity, make sure you are on our interest list! Please call (858) 668-4551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Email Address
Minimum Application Requirements
- First-Time Buyer. You may not have owned a home secured by a Deed of Trust in the last 3 years. Those displaced by a divorce do not have to meet this requirement.
- Down Payment. You are required to provide a percentage of the purchase price toward the down payment and any related fees. The percentage is 5% for moderate-income buyers. This money can be gifted but cannot be a recorded loan. Closing costs and lender required reserves would be additional.
- Income Requirements. To initially qualify, your gross household annual income and assets (all adults that would reside in the home and be listed on the title and loan documents) must fall between the minimum and maximum limits displayed below, based on total household size.
2022 Gross Household Income Limits
*Income and Asset limits do not constitute all necessary eligibility requirements.
- Homebuyer Education. You will be required to complete classes for first-time homebuyers. Classes include a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) First-time Homebuyer Course and a Poway Housing Authority SHOP/BEGIN Program course. Recommended HUD courses are listed below.
- Online: eHome's eight-hour Homebuyer Education (fee: $99)
- In-person: NeighborWorks America or any HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agency (fee: varies by agency)
Questions about the SHOP program or the homebuying process shall be directed to:
Marie Sanders, Senior Management Analyst, (858) 668-4637 | email@example.com.