Sharing Outdoor Spaces (SOS)
The City of Poway is excited to announce the Sharing Outdoor Spaces (SOS) program. In response to the State of California direction for houses of worship and fitness facilities to cease indoor activities, we’re pleased to offer permits for religious services and fitness classes or other similar types of activities in our parks.
Who is eligible?
- Poway-based houses of worship.
- Poway-based fitness-oriented organizations with a Poway Business Certificate. The business certificate must have been obtained prior to July 15, 2020.
- We welcome religious services and fitness classes or other similar types of activities.
- Please remember that food service, potlucks, family-style eating and drinking events, or alcohol are not permitted per the County of San Diego.
How do I apply and is there a fee?
- The City will begin accepting applications on Friday, July 17 at 8 a.m. To expedite the process, we recommend you review the application documents and insurance requirements and have that information ready when you contact us.
- The application must be printed out, completed and signed, and then emailed to the City. Download the application.
- The Community Services Department is ready to assist you with your application process. Please contact us by phone at (858) 668-4580 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your application, which park best meets your needs and discuss park availability. City offices are currently closed to the public, but staff is available 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every other Friday. (View the city calendar here.)
- You will need to provide proof of insurance, including an endorsement naming the City as additionally insured, and a release of liability. Download helpful hints and sample documents. Download the waiver.
- All fees associated with facility/park use will be waived temporarily for these specific uses.
- We’ll offer permits for our parks only until the County of San Diego allows these uses to return indoors.
Are there additional COVID-19 regulations?
- All State of California and County of San Diego regulations and Center for Disease Control guidelines for COVID-19 must be followed. View the County of San Diego Safe Reopening plan.
- You will need to submit a completed copy of your County of San Diego Safe Reopening Plan as part of the application process. Please update your plan to reflect modifications for outdoor operations at a City of Poway park.
- Per State and County guidance, we recommend that you implement a reservation system to limit the number of attendees. To limit the number of participants, fitness classes should not accept drop-ins at the time of the class.
Will we need to provide our own equipment?
- All equipment and supplies will be your responsibility. We ask that you set up and remove all equipment within the approved permit time.
- As a friendly reminder, we ask that you help us keep our parks pristine. Please remember to place all trash and recycling in the proper receptacles.
How often can we use the parks for our activities?
- Houses of worship may have one reservation per week, and attendance is limited to 100 socially distanced participants.
- Fitness-oriented organizations may have up to three reservations per week, and attendance is limited to 50 socially distanced participants.
- Permits for all activities will be limited to four-hour increments.
- Please be advised that parking for residents at Lake Poway is free, however non-resident parking is $10 per car on Saturday and Sunday.