- Finance Department
- Customer Services
- Water & Sewer Services
- COVID-19 and Your Utility Bills
COVID-19 and Your Utility Bills
The City of Poway is well-prepared to continue providing water and wastewater services during the COVID-19 pandemic including staff, equipment and infrastructure to maintain services. Water quality and supplies are not affected by COVID-19 and remain safe.
Disconnection of water service due to non-payment has resumed as of June 1, 2022. If you have any questions regarding your account or would like to request a payment arrangement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us during normal business hours at (858) 668-4401.
Why can't you waive my bill?
As Poway water service is a public utility, California law (Proposition 218) prohibits giving public funds to any person or entity. Waiving your bill would put an extra and disproportionate burden on other ratepayers and would be considered a gift of public funds. Other utilities, such as electric and phone companies, can offer discounts and bill forgiveness as they are for-profit agencies.
Recognizing the significant economic impact of COVID-19, San Diego County has new resources and other benefits available to residents and businesses for assistance with utilities and rent/mortgage payments, food pantries, and other needs. If you would like more information about eligibility requirements or how to apply, we have two referrals to recommend:
- The new Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) launched in June 2022, and provides financial assistance to low-income Californians to help manager their residential water utility costs. The program offers a one-time payment to help pay past due water and/or wastewater bills accrued during any timeframe. To apply for assistance, please contact Poway's local area service provider, Campesinos Unidos, at (619) 391-9790, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- For low wage workers, the Worker Assistance Initiative organized by the United Way San Diego offers financial assistance with utilities and rent/mortgage payments. Visit uwsd.org/covid19 to apply or call 858-492-2000.
- For general questions about COVID-19, information about community resources, or if you are uninsured, call 2-1-1 San Diego or access information online at 211sandiego.org. This includes up to date COVID-19 info for the county, food resources, healthcare, childcare, public benefits, financial/employment resources, and transportation.
- For local Poway businesses, please visit our Tools For Business webpage for resources and information.